Sunday, June 13, 2010

How We Met

For this weeks challenge I think I am going to try and do a post daily on a different times through out when David and I were dating. I am going to start the week with how we met and ended up dating.

David and I met in December of 2007.

Our story actually starts a few months before that though. I had been in a pretty mixed up and not so great relationship (from a Christians stand point) for a year in Nov 2007. That Thanksgiving we went to my parents house to celebrate with my parents. They had invited a few other college age people over who weren't able to go home for the holiday. The day was so much fun but my boyfriend was very uncomfortable through out the day and was quietly to me ridiculing everything that y family had as traditions. He ended up leaving early. So I got to talking with one of the students who was there and he was having a good time and fitting in perfectly.

God had been poking at my heart for awhile to get out of the relationship but I didn't want to listen I had been with this person for a long time and he had helped me come through grandparents passing away my dad retiring from the military after 23 years and many other hard things in life in the year we had been together and he treated me amazingly but he was not a christian and our relationship was not pleasing to God. That day was a huge wake up call to me. We stayed together through the Christmas season and once again he made fun of traditions and said that my family was a little psycho about how much we put Christ into Christmas. He agreed he was the reason for the season but there was other things involved also. I couldn't bring myself to break it off with him during the holiday season though because his family was far away and his job wouldn't allow him to leave long enough to go home. He was also spending Christmas with my family. I knew after the Holidays though that it had to be over.

At the same time David was going through some major life changes also. It was his first semester at Michigan Tech and he was pledging a frat and playing Football. He had gone to church and lived the Christian lifestyle as a young child but his family moved to MI and they had stopped any style or attending church. In his first semester of college a friend from the football team invited him to attend church with him. So in October he began attending Bethany Baptist Church. Around the same time he also had a run in with his RA after a party which started him thinking about not doing the whole party and frat boy scene.

In early December I was asked to do an advent reading for church. He happened to be in attendance that week. During the meet and great time he turned around and leaned over three rows of pews to introduce himself. It was a little strange but there weren't really people in between us so I thought nothing of it. My sister who was home from school for Christmas break thought enough of it though. She started asking me all about it on the way home from church. I told her that there was no way he was interested in me mainly because he is " a college football player" he would NEVER be interested. She insisted that there was an interest though.

Well he went home for Christmas break and the entire time he was searching and he tells it like this "I slowly but surely realized the truth it wasn't just an aha moment like some people have but I realized I needed to make some changes in my life." He had his last underage drink new years that year and he said that the relationship he was in had basically been over for awhile. He didn't break up with her at this point though.

He came back from break and followed me to Sunday school class mainly just to see if he could find out more about me. After class he followed me (me still being oblivious to his interest in me) and began talking to me in the back of the sanctuary. He just asked basic questions about me like where was I from, what was I doing in life at that point. That was that a plain and simple chat. He later that week found me on Facebook and emailed me asking me if I would be attending a church event in two weeks. It was an event for hunters so I really wasn't to interested but I had helped in the past. I had also asked my current bf if he wanted to go. In the end my bf decided not to go and I just was going to stop by and drop food off that my mom and I had made for the event. When I got there they were super short on staff and I was asked to stay and help. David ended up being there with some of his friends. We chatted for a bit and he asked me to come to Winter Carnival on campus. I told him to get a hold of me on Facebook.

I still hadn't broken up with my bf but he didn't want to hang out at winter Carnival with me so I went ahead and told David I would hang out with him and his friends. I had to work the next day (Thursday) so I told him that I could only hang out from like 9pm to midnight. Well needless to say we ended up chatting and hanging out until 5am. At this point though neither of us were really sure of the others relationship status.



A picture from that first winter Carnival

Well after that night I had to break it off with my current bf. I knew that if I could have a connection with somebody else like I had with David that night that it wasn't fair to him. So the following week (not exactly sure when) I broke it off with him. It was a huge relief to me I felt free. David had also broken his relationship off in the midst of all this.

After the winter carnival night David and I emailed a few times on Facebook and ran into each other at hockey games but it wasn't anything formal until a few weeks later. It was around his birthday and I asked him what he wanted for his birthday. All he asked for was a chance to take me on a date (the proper way). Of course I said yes. So we went on a proper date. We went on many more "proper dates" and got to know each other very well in the following months.
David later told me that after the first date he went back to the dorms and told everybody that he would someday marry me:)

Our first Easter Together. Only about a month after we agreed to start dating

What have we lost in the hustle and bustle of daily lives and being "used" to each other. I think that we are to content in what we know about each other. I love the line from the movie Fireproof that talks about the different levels of degrees we strive for in school and it flips it on relationships. I don't think that you can ever know everything about somebody. With my husband gone we have had to do a lot more talking online and it is a different type of talking than we normally do. It has been interesting to try and learn a new way to communicate with each other. Kinda feels like back in the days of dating when we were learning sooo much about each other.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet story. Seems like it was a match made in heaven. I decided not to participate, but have visited a few blogs that are. Congratulations on your marriage and hope you have a lifetime of happiness! I hope you do see this, guess I should have commented on a more current post.

    ReplyDelete