Monday, January 30, 2012

Settling In

Hej!

WE ARE OFFICIAL Swedish residence. Yippee! Our visa was approved this week. We need to find an office in Malmo to pick it up from but we have the email saying it’s approved. So to all of you who knew how big of a worry this was for us and have been praying thank you!

I am picking up Swedish pretty easily. I am not at a conversation level though but I know enough to be polite and exchange pleasantries with someone. The class is very fast paced for what I am used to. It seems like it is making it easier for me to learn the language this way though. Most people think that I am Danish or Swedish so when I ask to speak English they are a little surprised. With David everyone says that you can tell he is an American. I am hoping this will help me to pick up Swedish faster too, because people actually speak it to me. The Swedes are very willing to speak English and are very helpful. We have not found a single person unwilling to or unable to communicate in English.

We have bikes that work. We have outfitted them to meet Swedish standards. (We needed lights for night time and got a basket to help with carrying groceries, backpacks…etc.) With the cold weather finally here it is nice to take a 10minute bike ride instead of a 45min walk to campus every day. The winter weather has definitely set in. Since we are right off the coast we have pretty strong winds which make it feel a lot colder most days.

David is enjoying his class. He has many different nationalities in his class. There are some students from South America so he has enjoyed using his Spanish with them. It is new for him to be surrounded by so many different nationalities but he is enjoying it most of the time.

Besides Swedish classes I have been busy working on my school work and walking around the cities. I met with some friends at a coffee house and one of the girls taught me to crochet. I am hoping to perfect my abilities in the next year. It will be something to do to keep myself busy.

The last two weekends we have walked around a few of the cities that are close by. My hands have been frozen from taking pictures. So I am hoping to make it back out in the spring when it’s a bit warmer to grab some more pictures. Here are a few for now:

Two weekends ago we went into Malmo and walked around:

There are subways, McDonalds, Burger Kings and 7elevens all over the palace.


Small European roads all made of cobble stone.

Huge Cathedral in Malmo.

One of the many city squares we have found in Malmo


Cool old building

Malmo Central train and bus station.

Last weekend we went north to Lund.

I love how they use older buildings. A cute little corner coffee shop.

Many layers of building. Thought it looked cool.

Beautiful old Cathedral. One of my favorite parts of Europe.

Astronomical clock in the Cathedral. We just happened to walk in at one of the times that it plays.

More weird buildings.

Bike parking lot. I don't know if I would ever be able to find my bike if it were parked in there.


Hopefully this week I will get up a video and some pictures of our little apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment